Most Popular AC Filters for Your HVAC System
Replacing the air filter on a regular basis can work wonders for your HVAC system. It helps boost the HVAC unit’s efficiency and reduce energy bills. Ideally, one should change their HVAC unit’s air filters every 2-3 months, but just in case the HVAC unit is exposed to a lot of dust, dirt, dander, and other pollutants, the replacement should be more frequent.
Now that you know how important air filters are, let us shift the focus to choosing the right air filter for an HVAC unit. There are several air filter types available in the market. We, however, will focus our discussion on the three most common air filters that are regarded the best for any HVAC repair Greenville NC. Let’s take a look.
HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Air. HEPA air filters are a type of pleated mechanical filter that can remove a minimum of 99.97% of dirt, dust, mold, pollen, bacteria, and similar airborne particles that are 0.3 microns (µm) or more in size. HEPA filters provide one of the highest levels of protection against harmful microorganisms and other air components that may be detrimental to your and your family’s health. If you are looking for AC replacement Greenville NC. Get in touch with us today for wonderful services.
- Pros: One of the major advantages of using HEPA filters is their efficiency in purifying the air. The engineers have designed it to efficiently capture larger pollutants (pollen, pet dander, etc.) and keep you safe. Most importantly, they are budget-friendly and easy to remove. You do not need to change them every year.
- Cons: The downside of using HEPA filters is – they cannot capture fumes, odors, gasses, and other pollutants, such as mold spores, etc. Pollutants like the mold that get stuck on the filter reduce the HVAC system’s efficiency, thereby reducing the air filter’s expected lifespan.
As the name suggests, electrostatic filters work on the principle of electrostatics. The electrostatic filters are made of cotton and paper fibers that act as magnets for all the harmful dust and airborne particles. They create a static that traps the harmful allergens and prevents them from entering the HVAC system.
- Pros: Electrostatic filters are recyclable. You can easily use them again. They are budget-friendly and help you save on your money. Plus, they also help you improve the indoor air quality.
- Cons: They fail to handle larger pollutants such as dust and mold spores. And therefore, they are not beneficial for patients with respiratory disorders.
UV filters or Ultraviolet filters use short-wave UV light that kills harmful microorganisms (viruses and bacteria). These have germicidal radiation, which acts as a disinfectant. However, they are not that effective in screening against pollutants like dust. UV filters is also a main aspect of AC, we also provide AC installation Greenville NC.
One probable threat of UV filters is – they can transform oxygen into ozone which can be very dangerous to the health. This can lead to respiratory issues ranging from minor symptoms like coughing, chest pain to major respiratory issues like worsening of an existing asthma patient’s asthma condition.
- Pros: An important benefit of using this filter is that it can even destroy harmful pollutants such as mold and germs, thereby preventing respiratory issues.
- Cons: Disadvantages of UV filters is – they are quite costly to install. They fail to capture gases, cigarette smoke, and fumes. Most importantly, they are ineffective against some of the most common pollutants like dust and allergens.
If you still have any doubts and need help choosing the right air filter for your HVAC unit or are looking for an AC contractor Greenville NC, we at Halltec HVAC are here to help. We provide one of the most reliable AC repair Greenville NC, and nearby areas. We can help you with your HVAC unit’s repair, replacement, or maintenance-related issues. Call us at 252-221-3850 and schedule a technician visit today.